Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer Fruit Galette

If you're anything like me, you get really excited to see fresh fruit overflowing in the grocery stores. I buy and buy and buy and then only eat and e.... so much of it begins to turn before I can eat it all. Well, this summer I found a super delicious way to use up fruit that may just be a bit too ripe to bite in to - a homemade fruit galette!

This is the easy version, using all ready-to-use-at-purchase ingredients:

1 Trader Joe's frozen pie crust (because its already rolled flat and perfectly round, and because I'm rolling pin-retarded)
1 egg white
A peach or two, and a handful of blackberries
A handful of shortbread cookies
A couple spoonfuls of sugar
A sprinkle of cinnamon

Since this pie crust is frozen, just let it sit until it reaches room temperature, or a little cooler. You'll want it to be pliable.


Slice your fruits. I used a peach and a handful of blackberries. You can use any combination you can imagine - apples and blueberries, blueberries and pears, strawberries, raspberries, cherries... anything goes!









Crumble a few shortbread cookies into a small bowl. The only shortbread cookies I could find have bits of fruit filling in them, so I just crumbled around the center and nibbled on the filling as I went along.







I lined a cookie sheet with foil, but if you have a baking stone that would work great too. Lay out your pie crust, and sprinkle the cookie crumbles in the center to within 2 inches of the outer edge. Lay out your fruit in any pattern that you fancy. Sprinkle with a spoonful of sugar and drizzle with honey. You can substitute brown sugar if you like. (Here, I used organic turbinado sugar from Trader Joe's.)





Fold up the edges to wrap around the fruit. You'll have to crease the pie crust to get it to fold up tightly, and can pinch the ends a bit if you need to.













Brush the outside with your egg white, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.








Bake at 350 until edges are golden brown. You'll find that the fruit filling will produce a lot of juice, and I found it best to let it cool completely before serving to let the filling set. You can heat it up again briefly before serving if you prefer it warm. With ice cream :)






0 comments: